WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is using executive order to ban travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries and temporarily suspend the admission of refugees and immigrants from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.
This comes as the U.S. is seeking to quell the refugee crisis and President Donald Trump has urged a federal court to reinstate the ban.
A federal judge issued a temporary restraining order on Tuesday preventing Trump from enforcing his travel ban and temporarily blocking it from taking effect.
The order also prevents Trump from using the executive order for other purposes.
The order will not affect refugees already living in the United States and refugees from countries where the president said in February that they should be barred from entering the country.
The ban is scheduled to take effect March 6.
In addition to banning travelers from the countries covered by the order, the president is also issuing a series of other measures to help combat the Ebola outbreak in the U.-S.
and other threats.
The president’s order also restricts entry into the United State for Syrian refugees, which is an increase from the 1,000 people allowed into the country last week.
The administration is seeking a total of 5,000 Syrian refugees.
It has already admitted 1,100 refugees and is expected to admit another 1,800 in the coming weeks.
At least one refugee family who were detained in the past week at Dulles International Airport and at Newark Liberty International Airport are suing the U-S.
government, alleging they were not properly vetted.
After the lawsuit was filed Tuesday, a U.N. refugee agency official said it was “aware of the filing of the lawsuit and will be considering it.”